Dan has been lucky enough to gather a considerable range of experience of funding and financing voluntary, mutual and social enterprises, through developing policy at the highest level and delivering in practice at the grassroots.
He has worked for the Treasury, Futurebuilders, the Cabinet Office, Local Partnerships and Social Enterprise UK. He has also worked in France and Germany, and in Brussels on Corporate Social Responsibility. He founded the world's first 'pop-up think tank' - POPse! He now works as an independent advisor under the banner of Common Capital.
Dan has led the development of a number of pioneering developments in policy and practice, including:
- advising government departments around the world on the development of social enterprise policies
- developing a number of innovative performance-based and ‘equity-like’ investment products for social enterprise
- building the case for a new tax incentive for investment in social enterprise
- supporting business planning and development of around 50 staff-led public sector ‘spin-outs’
- agreeing the paperwork for around £50m worth of investments in third sector organisations delivering public services
- leading the development of government policy on third sector access to finance, social investment and the role of the sector in service delivery
- developing the legislation and building consensus in government for a model for a social investment bank
- shaping the policy proposals for the first genuinely cross sector social economy campaigning alliance